Friday, September 14, 2012

Cliche (But Awesome) Music Post #2

By Andrew McGunagle

In a few days I will be driving down to school to begin my senior year of college. I am excited, and most of my musings during the last few weeks have centered around how I can make my final year of school fun, fulfilling, and productive. However, in this time, I have also outlined no less than ten new articles that will be appearing on Strength Musings in the near future. Additionally, I have been generating ideas for a book that I plan to write and published in the next few years. Yep, the future looks bright (and busy!), and I am looking forward to the work that lies ahead of me.
My last year at Cal Poly SLO
In the meantime, I figured this was the perfect opportunity for a second Cliche (But Awesome) Music Post. Just like the first music post, I will start by introducing a couple of lighter songs that I enjoy listening to as I prepare for my training sessions. Then, I will provide you with some songs that you can blast while you lift. Different people have different tastes in music, so I did my best to include a variety of songs. If you find one or two that you want to add to your gym playlist, great!

1. "Lost River" by Murder By Death: I introduced one of my favorite bands, Murder By Death, in my first music post, and I couldn't help but share a second song of theirs. This is a song off of their new album, and I was lucky enough to see them play this song live over the summer. I said it once, and I will say it again: Do not miss out on seeing this band live if they are in a city near you!



2. "Walk (Acoustic)" by Foo Fighters (Dave Grohl): Love him or hate him, you have to admit that Dave Grohl is an amazing musician. While I like the album version of this song, I find the acoustic version to be particularly powerful.



3. "Hook" by Blues Traveler: When I first heard this song a few months back, I could not believe that I had never heard it before. I love music, so when I find a hidden treasure like this, I assume that the majority of people have not heard it, either. Enjoy!



4. "Fight The Good Fight" by Triumph: Getting into some lifting songs, I will begin with a song that I heard for this first time this summer. If only Canada gave us more great music like this and less Justin Bieber, eh?




5. "Never Change (Remix)" by Jay-Z (Big Z Remixes): All of my brothers and a couple of my friends absolutely love this song. If you like hip-hop, then this song is for you. If you like snowboarding, then this video is for you. If you like hip-hip and snowboarding, then boy oh boy are you in for a treat.



6. "T.N.T (Live at Donington)" by AC/DC: For every great song, there is always one live performance of that song that is legendary. If time travel is invented in my lifetime, then this is one of the many concerts I will be attending.



7. "Estranged" by Guns N' Roses: Think "Welcome to the Jungle" and "Sweet Child O' Mine" are all Guns N' Roses has to offer? Think again...



8. "Fall Back Down" by Rancid: Growing up in the Bay Area, Live 105 was my station of choice. While my commercial-less iPod has caused me to dread the radio, I thank this station for introducing me to a number of excellent songs.


Thanks for reading, and do not hesitate to suggest some songs in the comments section of this article! 

1 comment:

  1. White Zombie - "Electric Head" (Parts 1 and 2) and "More Human than Human"
    Both songs have always been in my "gym tunes" playlist.

    -D-

    ReplyDelete